Saturday, July 2, 2011

growing old

   Growing old is not fun. It beats other options and as an 86 year old man said today "The only way to keep from getting old is to die young".
    My husband has been sick and in hospital a couple days last week having problems breathing.This week has been trips for more tests and dr visits with no new info. I have depended on him the last 3 years to most everything since I can only stand about 8 minutes without terrible pain. Now he can't breathe and I can't walk or stand. We are a great couple.
    We went grocery shopping this morning. Usually I ride in power chair but Wal-mart has new chairs and you can't take them out to the car( I don't understand how it helps to have them if you can't get what you bought to your car) so we had to find a new place to shop. Al usually leans on a grocery cart while I go in power chair but today we both needed one so went to Krogers. They have their chairs inside and in a tight place so it is almost impossible to get one out or put back when you finish. We got a few things and made it to car. Then we went to Aldi and they have no power chairs so we managed to grab a few things but by the time we got to the car we had decided that if Drs can't figure out what the problem is we will have to stop shopping and try to get some one else to do it for us. Someone who rather not have to be bothered.
    It is hard to give up doing things you have done for years but growing older requires this. Our minds say we can but our body says no you can't.

1 comment:

jaci said...

wow. Seems to me like those are violations of the disabilities act, but I don't know. It's hard to read about how things are for you now, my precious friend. I'm too far away to be of much use to you -- except I can pray. {{{HUGS}}}