Wednesday, June 15, 2011

parents/children

  I keep hearing ideas to encourage parents to do things with their children and got to thinking of how different it is today than when I was a child.
   When I was a child we did everything with our parents whether it was plowing and planting a garden, fishing, camping or going to neighbours for a visit. We did not have camping equipment such as sleeping bags, coolers, tents etc. We camped beside the stream at Belle Smith ( a recreation area here in Shawnee Natl. Forest) and slept on blankets and looked at the stars. Dad and his cousin would fish the next day while "the kids" waded and swam in the little water hole by where we camped.We repeated this several times a year.
   It seems now that some parents don't want to spend time with their children and are busy planning things for them do so they won't be bothered with them. As soon as school is out they start sending their children to all sorts of camps so they will be gone all summer.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

I've had several people ask me what I'm going to have my kids do this summer. My thoughts are, why would I put my children in some program with a bunch of public schooled children, when I have elected to homeschool them? Just doesn't make sense. I LIKE to be with my kids. Can't imagine wanting to send them off for the day to get rid of them. Love your blog Jeannette!